It is type of chemical bound in which the electron completely transfer from valance shell of one atom to the valance another atom in gas form called ionic bounding.
Procedure of composition of NaCl ( Sodium Chloride).
Sodium has one electron in its valance shell. After the loosing this electron. Na ( Sodium ) gets a unit positive charge.
Na → Na+ + e-
Step 2 :
Chlorine has seven electron its valance shell. It gains one electron to complete its valence shell.
Cl + e- → Cl-
The positive charge ion Na+ and Cl- combine by electrostatic force of attraction to form ionic bond.
Na+ + Cl- → Na – CL
Properties of ionic bound :
Ionic compounds are compounds are common due to the presence of ionic bond.
- Ionic compounds are composed of +ve and -ve ions know as cation ( +ve ) and anion (-ve ).
- Due to strong bonding forces ionic compounds are generally hard solids.
- Ionic compounds generally have high and sharp melting points and high boiling points.
- ionic compounds are soluble in ionic or polar solvents.
- Ionic compounds are good conductors of electricity in molten state and in an aqueous solution.
- They are non-conductors in the solid state and the ions are not free to move.